30/10/2017

About the Pinups #4: Pinup #8

In this series of articles I tell the individual stories of the numerous Bianca and the Satanic Witches Pinups - mainly of my favourites, or in some other way important ones.

This is about the eight pinup in the series.





This is a very peculiar one. I maybe tried to emulate a slightly older Marvel comics feel, maybe from the seventies or the eighties. It has that kind of slightly smudged and definitely cartoony feel, but I also hoped to achieve the certain eye popping action thing as well.

I started by drawing the different elements individually: Stuart, the monster and the background. Notice that I don't usually draw backgrounds, but in this style the whole painting thing wouldn't have worked.





Once I had drawn and inked the different pieces I took very small photocopies of them - I'm talking like a post stamp size - and then coloured them on different paper using a light table with thick felt tip pens. I didn't pay attention to what colours I was using, I only used the different shades to separate the "elements" of the colouring from each other.





Then I scanned these, and I vectorized the felt tip pen colours - this time changing the shades to what I ultimately wanted them to be.





Next I opened Photoshop and dropped all these in. The reason I did the whole down scaling colouring thing was because I didn't want the colours to be too "good" - I wanted them kinda looking like the old rasterized colour process that was always a bit weird and didn't exactly follow the ink lines. So, in a way, this is kind of a stylistic sequel to Pinup #3 (more about the making of that in here), only this time I didn't go reproducing the rasters themselves but, hopefully, the overall feel of older techniques.

Notice also how I added grey "shadow" behind Stuart to separate him from the darkness of the background.

Now it only had one problem: the main reason I use paint to colour the actual comic and do the backgrounds is because it has an automatic texture to it. I usually hate big areas of just one shade with no alteration (except if they are black or white). This was very apparent with this piece, so I added a little "smudge" layer on top of everything. It was just a bit of grey scale texture, set to rather small opacity. It also helped to give the image a kind of old and used feel which I actually do like quite a bit.

I like this image. I think it's one of the first really successful Bianca -pinups. I think it looks somehow dynamic. I'm not sure if I overdid the "mistakes" in the colouring, but then again I am often very perfectionistic, which is why it's fun to do things with paint and other less than precise methods. It helps to hide all the accidental mistakes as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment