27/11/2017

About the Pinups #5: Pinup #9

In this series of articles I tell the individual stories of the numerous Bianca and the Satanic Witches Pinups - mainly of my favourites, or in some other way important ones.

This is about the ninth pinup in the series.





At this time I felt I had finally kind of hit my stride with these pinup things. Yet I wanted to experiment some more and make the image look kinda neater and glossier, if that is a good term.

Instead of inking the whole image - the outlines, the black areas etc. I only inked the deepest black shades in the image and then used pointillism - that is an art direction where you take your pen or brush and only point small dots to create the different shapes. I still wanted most of the image to be that bright white that I like to use as skin colours, so I kept the points mainly working as outlines of the image.



Then I used the same sketch I had for that to colour in the different shades with coloured pencils.



When these two are put together, with the blacks on top of the colours, you get the full image that to me looks rich and nice. But then I needed a background as well.

Since the image is situated into a bathroom and a large part of it is taken by the figures - Anya and Lorena (although all you see of her are her thighs) in this case - I thought that it might give a nice flavour to use an actual photograph as the background. So I took the following photos of the bathroom I had back then:







I didn't want it to look too out of place, though, so I vectorized the best of the images with very few colours, so in the end it looked like this:



Notice how much I changed the original colours around.

And that's how this image was created. I had difficulty deciding what to depict, originally, since all that happens in this part of the story is that Anya and Lorena go to the toilet and talk about stuff. I found the key when I realized that the whole thing is basically about Anya's frustration and irritation about things not going as she would like them to. So I literalisized the whole thing and made it into her literally getting peed on. It's kind of a visual pun and I like that. Also, I'we heard, some people find that kind of thing sexy, so that works out fine as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment