01/10/2018

About the Pinups #13: Pinup #30

In this series of articles I tell the individual stories of the numerous Bianca and the Satanic Witches Pinups - mainly of my favourites, or in some other way important ones.

This is about the thirtieth pinup in the series.





Bianca and the Satanic Witches #30 was an important issue in that it was basically the last chance we got to see our heroes together as a group having fun before the inevitable end action extravaganza truly begins. So it's like a "calm before the storm" -moment.

I decided to express this by showing different images from along the journey thus far: just random images of, especially Bianca and the things she has gone through and seen. The whole comic is named after her for a reason and the ending will have a lot to do with her character - although she will take a small side step from the clearest lime light for a while.

I started ordinarily by drawing Bianca and Stuart as a normal, inked image. I also painted the colours in very much as usual. Once again the X:s are there so I can combine the line art with the colours more easily.



Then I started to compile the background Bianca images. I used normal images of her from all around the comic's run. I made them into a make shift comic page.



I then put that on photoshop and twisted it around to, hopefully, create a kind of dream like, or memory like feel. I also shaded these outlines with dark blue shadows.



Then I put the background colour in. I used blue - I felt the kind of noble bravery of blue feels really suitable for Bianca's character. But I didn't just have a slab of colour so I put the tone on top of a texture of my own making. I chose this, as well, because of it certain hazy feel I was going for. I also diminished the opacity a little bit so the lines don't mix with the foreground Bianca and Stuart.



Then I added a little bit of nuance to the images. I didn't want to colour them in ordinarily because I wanted the background to feel unified, solid piece so I mainly just used a few colours of a near by colour scheme and left them in with a pretty low opacity.



I'm pretty happy with the finished piece. I'm not quite sure it conveys what I was hoping for but at least I think it became pretty interesting and a nice image in all.

No comments:

Post a Comment